Thursday, July 8, 2021

Receive what is offered --

Receive what is offered --



As I’m sure many of you too have, at the check-out register in a grocery store I paid for a lady’s groceries who had an easily recognizable need.  She expressed gratitude, shared in her countenance a noticeable moment of relief and was off to the rest of her life.  It was my thought that she would continue to need help in that way until she got beyond whatever thing in her life was creating it. Hopefully for her, a not too far distant triumph.  Despite whatever nick to her pride she may have endured by having another pay her freight, what she did not do, in preservation of that pride, is insist upon paying a second time for the groceries I had just purchased.  That would have been stupid of her and offensive to me.  For me, her gratitude and countenance more than paid any debt she may have assessed as an accrual in her mind.  

 

On more than one occasion I have been that lady at the register spiritually. – Broke and needing help.   On each occasion, as good fortune would have it, Christ has been behind me, next in line, and paid my freight despite the probability of me returning to that same line with the same need until I have gained some of what I lack.  Hopefully for me, a not too far distant triumph.  Unlike the lady however, I often insist upon keeping my pride intact by trying to pay for something that has already been purchased.  It’s stupid of me and offensive, I would think, to Christ. When I insist upon the maintenance of my pride, two outcomes usually manifest. 1 I fail to express proper gratitude thinking I’ve done something for myself and 2 ensures that I will return to that line with the same flaw and the same need until I get beyond what I lack. 

 

How asinine is that!!?

 

If you too are that guy – you’re a dick and Christ is disappointed that for you his currency was worthless.  Don’t be that Guy.

 

RE Alma 17:4-5   (Finally Alma notices his bill being paid)

And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. Now as my mind catched hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart, O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who art in the gall of bitterness and art encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. And now behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more. And oh, what joy and what marvelous light I did behold! Yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pains. Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there can be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as was my pains.  5. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

 

Signed,

 

John The-Not-So-Beloved

No comments:

Post a Comment